Thursday, June 17, 2010
Networking....
I spoke with our caseworker yesterday and she said they really don't have any birthmothers at the moment who haven't already picked families that are due before Fall. :( That got me thinking that maybe I should try "networking." I honestly don't know where to start or how to "network." I've heard about other people finding "situations" thru facilitators, attorney's, etc. I am thinking about just looking around. It can't hurt I suppose! :) Our fees with our agency are a lot lower than most so I'm not sure I'd even find anything we can afford but at least I'll feel like I'm doing something! If anyone reading this has any suggestions on "networking" please let me know! Our family & friends all already know about our adoption journey so that isn't a networking option really.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi! I found your blog on The Bump. My husband and I are also hoping to adopt...
ReplyDeleteAh, networking. It's so OVERWHELMING! Here are a few things that have worked for us ("worked" meaning that a lot of people know about us. Not "worked" as in we have a baby yet=)
1. Create a website (can do it for free through google sites if you are a bit computer savvy.) Put a tracker like Stat Counter or Google Analytics on your website so you know who's visiting. (Warning: VERY ADDICTIVE!)
2. Use Facebook to direct people to your website. Facebook has been BY FAR the most effective way for us to get our info out. We sent a message to all of our facebook friends, telling them of our hope to adopt. In the message, we asked them to post our website to their wall. That way their friends see it, and then their friends see it... etc.
3. Fliers and "adoption cards" (they are actually business cards, but that sounds weird). We have posted them around college campuses, in small towns, anywhere we can find a bulletin board. It makes me feel a bit vulnerable and I get nervous each time, but... we do what we gotta do, right?
Well this is the longest comment ever. Especially since I don't know you. =) GOOD LUCK! Let me know if you find any ideas that work well for you.
if you're on facebook and open with friends/family about your adoption, might i suggest a mass email and/or a facebook advertisement (those little things about college and what not, but for an birthmother).
ReplyDeleteThanks Ladies! Those are great suggestions! I'm definitely considering them all! Thanks again.
ReplyDelete